Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Where Twitter led me today

A few tweets today led me to some interesting blogs and websites:

Trudi Canavan mentioned The Book Depository Live, where you can see what books people all over the world are ordering. Very cool, very addictive. If you care that someone in Belgium just bought The Early Rock Guitar Bible, then this is the place you need to hang out.

Bex Wicks, fellow HarperCollins author (Burqalicious - The Dubai Diaries), writes about meeting bestselling Aussie author Bryce Courtney, who gave her some advice on being a writer. Write commercially, he says, if you want to make money. It seems self-evident. But the fact is that many people want to be writers for the sake of the art. Cynical as it sounds, if you want to give up the 9 to 5 then writing commercially increases your odds of achieving that goal rather than writing a marvelous piece of literary genius (unless said piece of genius ends up on the state's high school curriculum). Of course, doing both at the same time would be nice!

And my most go-to site io9 has a trailer for Super. I don't really like the whole superhero genre but this is a parody, suitably due for release on 1st April (in the US), and it stars Rainn Wilson (aka Dwight from The Office) and Nathan Fillion (playing another superhero) - two great reasons to put Grandma on babysitting duty and take MCP to the movies for the first time in I-don't-know-how-long. (I can't find a release date for Australia, which makes me nervous...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big Rainn Wilson fan, but Ellen Page seems awesome in it. And if it has Nathan Fillion... I am so seeing it (I originally started watching Castle for Fillion, but now I adore the dynamic between Esposito and Ryan.) I am curious if Fillion's character is wearing a women's wig. It looked like it in the trailer.

Anonymous said...

The book despository thing is pretty neat. Almost no one buying fiction though, strange.

Post a Comment