Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The younger generation

My husband's nephew and his wife, a couple in their early 20s, are staying with us for a few days. While browsing through some Netflix options we discovered that, despite being SF&F fans, they've never seen Blade Runner or Aliens. I'm speechless!

We watched Aliens with them, followed by... Zardoz. MCP assured us this is a cult classic. I'm not sure when that phrase has ever been a recommendation. Well, all I can say is that it has Sean Connery in it...in a red diaper.

At one point he appears in a lacy wedding dress, but I suspect most viewers today will never get that far into the viewing experience.

Hard to believe that this movie is only 12 years older than Aliens and is so dated it's almost unwatchable. On the other hand, the only thing about Aliens that's dated badly is Paul Reiser's hair.

4 comments:

Tez Miller said...

Well.

That must be the reason why I've never heard Zardoz mentioned anywhere - that costume must've traumatised viewers, and thus they suppressed/repressed the memory.

Golly.

Carradee said...

"I'm not sure when that phrase [cult classic] has ever been a recommendation."

It is for Serenity (based on the Firefly series).

MCPlanck said...

Ahem. I specifically stated Zardoz was "stupid" several times.

But they wanted to watch it anyway.

It's from the era when random images on the screen set to psychedelic music was considered "deep."

But seriously, it is a classic cult film. Next I'm going to make them watch Forbidden Planet.

Mardel said...

That was a definite fashion mistake there. Not a good look - even for Sean Connery. Although the hair's not bad..(on his head!)

Post a Comment